The Coupon Consultant

I have now started my own business, The Coupon Consultant. I will be sharing with people how to save money by using smart shopping strategies. This will include using coupons, rebates, and some planning to save people hundreds of dollars on their monthly budgets. At times, I have hijacked our family blog to share my coupon stories. Well now, the coupon stories have their own blog! And my Circus and have its blog back, too! Check out The Coupon Consultant!

Three things that help me survive the day!

I absolutely love homeschooling my Circus. I couldn't always say that. Before, I felt like it was the best for my kids, but I wasn't convinced that I was really supposed to be doing it. Over the summer, I spent lots of time really praying about what we were supposed to do (not about giving it up, but working through curriculum/methods, etc). I came to a great peace about it all and found a new curriculum. I won't talk about that now, but I gained a whole new perspective and attitude toward school with my kids. I love it, and now I can't imagine doing anything else. Some days are phenomenal, and some days are nightmarish. I have learned that there are 3 things that get me through the daily grind.

  1. Sleep: I am the worst at this one. I am preaching to myself here. I've talked to many homeschool moms who face the same problem. Once the kids go to bed, that's when the house is quiet. We can get things done, watch a movie, read a book, get on the computer. I am also a "night owl." Or I have called myself one since I knew what it meant. I have now discovered that I really enjoy the early mornings. I am finding that if I go to bed, and get up early, I still have time to do those things (not a watch a movie), but I'm actually rested and awake when I do them. I have literally been shocked at how awake and productive I am between 4:30 and 6:30am. The people who really know me are now laughing out loud. And women who've been practicing this for years are now breathing a sigh of relief that I've joined the dark side!
  2. F.O.B.: Did you know that you can order your burgers this way at Burger King? Fresh off the Broiler? Yes, you really can, but this is not what helps me homeschool. Every afternoon for an hour we have Feet on the Bed (F.O.B) time. The kids are required to be in their bed. They may read, play with a couple of quiet toys, or draw and color. My almost 5 year old still naps everyday. It's obvious that she needs it. My 7 year old naps 1-2 times a week, and my 9 year old naps about once a week as well. That is time for me to do whatever I need or want for an hour. I may even take a nap. This is survival for me, and the kids will one day appreciate knowing how to set aside some time each day to be still.
  3. Trigger the nose: This sounds weird, but I recently learned this from a veteran homeschool mom, and it has made all the difference in my house. When the kids seem to be stressed or frustrated with school, she said to cook something aromatic. I tried it with great skepticism. My kids love fresh popcorn. We pop it in a big pan on the stove. One day they were frustrated with bad attitudes. They were arguing about everything. I popped some popcorn, and we worked successfully for 1.5 hours more. I've used that a few times since with success every time. The only problem is that my oldest daughter heard me tell another mom about it, and just the other day she said, "Mom, I'm feeling a little stressed. Can you cook something?"
Guess what? These tips may help homeschool moms, but even if your kids go to school, these three things can and will work for you as well! It was a public school teacher who taught me about F.O.B. She did it in the summer with her own children. So, homeschooling or not, go to bed and rise early, introduce your kids to F.O.B., and cook something aromatic FOR YOU!

0 comments: