The Coupon Consultant

I have now started my own business, The Coupon Consultant. I will be sharing with people how to save money by using smart shopping strategies. This will include using coupons, rebates, and some planning to save people hundreds of dollars on their monthly budgets. At times, I have hijacked our family blog to share my coupon stories. Well now, the coupon stories have their own blog! And my Circus and have its blog back, too! Check out The Coupon Consultant!

Couponing with Kids...

First of all, MAKE SURE THEY GO TO THE BATHROOM!!!! The Circus and I went on Friday to take advantage of the Triples/Doubles weekend at Farm Fresh. And of course we had to make a trip to the bathroom, even though they all "supposedly went" before we left. Now, this is not an easy task as not only do you have to take the kids to bathroom, you must lug all of your paraphernalia with you: coupons, purse, umbrella (it was raining), daughter's purse (that won't happen again). So, first the ingredient necessary to couponing with kids is PATIENCE. Just know that there will be interruptions, a million questions, a bathroom break, etc. I did not handle it well at first, but then it hit me, "Lori, you're the problem, not them. They don't deserve the stinky attitude. They didn't complain that you brought them grocery shopping, so don't complain when they need to go to the bathroom." So, patience! Now once I get over my issues, the next key is what MAKES OR BREAKS A TRIP:

ORGANIZATION! This is NOT one of my strengths. You've all read my posts on being a messie! And sometimes, Coupon Central (aka the dining room table) is a disaster. But, my binder is usually very organized. Have you seen my binder? I must post pictures soon. You can see a an example of what I use HERE. Back to the original post. You see, although I got all flustered over the trip to the bathroom, I went right back to my list and picked right back up where I left off. Before I left on Friday, I spent 30-45 minutes making my detailed list and gathering my coupons. I only got the coupons ready that I needed on my SPECIFIC list. As I put an item in my basket, I check it off! (This may sound like the basics, but it's a DEFINITE when kids are along!) When I finish with the list, I go to an aisle where there is usually no traffic (the make up aisle in the grocery store, or in my Walmart, it's the men's clothing department; it's right there as I finish up). I go over the list and look at my coupons.

Now, what do I do with all those busy hands? Use handcuffs....JUST KIDDING!!! When I am being the mother I should be, I am patient and take my time and let them help me! I show them which item I need and tell them how many I need. My oldest carries a small notebook writing down items and prices. Talk about homeschooling. That is spelling, handwriting, and math all in one!!! Not to mention a lesson in frugality. And in the check out lane, they help me unload the cart. Then I tell them to watch the screen. I am trying to instill a sense of excitement as they see the total drop.

Does it always go this way? NO! Am I always the patient mother I should be? NO! There are a couple of more tips I will share with you. If you have a list as long as your arm, and you know you are going to be in the store for an extended period of time, do your best not to take them. There are many of you who don't have a choice. Take a small notebook and pencils for them. I do that, too. And the last trick up my sleeve that I have mastered is a good game of "Guess Who?" This is a made up customized version of the board game. I give a simple description of one of their favorite characters from a movie, book, tv show, or a real live person. From my description, they have to guess who I am talking about. They have even begun to do it for each other. This always stops a sudden break down!! It never fails. There can be weeping and gnashing of teeth and when I say, "Let's play Guess Who," you can hear a pin drop. Now, how I do that and still manage my list? Patience and Organization.


And with kids in tow, I bought $111 worth (retail value at this store) of stuff for $21! Eight cans of Manwich, 9 cans of Campbell's Chunky soup, 9 Pillsbury cake mixes, 4 boxes of Town House Crackers, 2 boxes of Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa, 4 boxes of Special K, 2 jars of Peter Pan peanut butter, 1 can of French's French Fried Onions, 1 jar of Smucker's preserves, 1 jar of Marshmallow Creme (kids with me and it was on sale), 2 Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers, and 1 can of Reddi-whip Whipped Cream! It was a GOOD RUN!

Oh...and just so you'll know, my kids have begun to beg me daily for their own coupon binder. So, it's really not too bad. And kids who learn about frugality while young usually have a better chance of practicing it as adults...not always, but usually.

If you have questions, comments, or suggestions on how you deal with kids while couponing, please leave them for all to see!

0 comments: